Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Catching up & First Mother's Day

I think a list format is going to be my best friend for a while. It's easier to jump from subject to subject!

1) We had a great weekend in Pittsburgh! My sister's bridal shower was beautiful - and the gift I mentioned a while back - she loved! I made her a personalized cookbook using Shutterfly. I knew there were recipes that she wanted from my mom; plus her fiance jokingly told her once he wanted to send her to me to learn how to cook. It turned out really well - I included a bunch of family photos at the introduction to each section, and found lots of photos online for free that I included so she could see photos of many of the dishes. I love a cookbook with photos, don't you? Anyway, I was so glad she liked it. Here's a look at the cover:

Add caption

2) After the bridal shower, my MIL and sisters turned the room at the church into a baby shower! I have another shower this weekend hosted by my awesome friends, M & K. I can't believe it - a baby shower for me!! It's still surreal. We received lots of cute clothes, a few toys, an awesome whale bathtub (little man has been bathed and rinsed in the kitchen and bathroom sinks! I think both times he was wondering what on earth was going on!). My sister S found a Penguins sleep & play for him - a few sizes bigger that he can wear next season. That was hubby's favorite gift. :) And my favorite... my sisters are both friends with a lovely woman who suffered from infertility. She has twins now, and was at the shower. Both of them have talked to her about me and she's been praying for us. She gave us a beautiful cross with the verse from Samuel - For this child, I have prayed. I teared up on that one!!

3) Caleb has been doing a little better at night. I got a little smarter and started feeding him in our bedroom where it's darker so he doesn't fully wake up. It's made a huge difference - he wakes; eats and falls back to sleep. Yay!!! Who knows if it will last, but I've gotten decent sleep the last few nights.

4) My house still looks like a tornado (of 7 pounds) ran through it. I am itching to dust and vacuum. When DH is at home in the evening and enjoying Daddy-time, I am cleaning! I know I'm weird, but I like cleaning. It's total chaos in our guest room and it makes me feel restless. My sister M is coming later this weekend and staying 2 nights and she'll need a place to sleep!

5) Caleb's baptism is this weekend - hooray!!! He is wearing the baptismal gown that I wore... my dad wore.. and my grandfather wore in 1908!!!! Our former pastor is celebrating. We really like our new pastor, but the former was a good friend who I know was praying for us and who just knows everything we've been through. Boy, was that a fun phone call to make!! He called DH back and after we put him on speakerphone, he asked me what I was up to and I answered... "well, I'm working on a registry." A registry? "Yes, a baby registry!!!" Anyway, we are super happy he is free. Both sets of grandparents, my godmother and assorted siblings will be able to make it. My sister M (the one who needs the guest room!) managed to have to work out of Baltimore next week, so she'll be able to fly in. At least, we are praying she can get a flight in time on Sunday!!

6) Mother's Day... it was wonderful... surreal and I was thinking and praying so much of all of you still waiting. We went to my former parish for mass and the priest there, after baptisms occur, loves to carry the babies around the church for everyone to see. Well, right before the homily, he came down (we were in the front) and asked if he could carry Caleb around. He picked him up, car seat and all! The weekend after we got him, the priest announced the news at every mass! It was so nice to be there and show him off to the many people who were praying for us. After the homily though, the prayers of the faithful were a bit of a surprise. I usually dread them - they offer prayers for mothers. Not those longing to be mothers, and so on. But here is essentially what was read. First - the prayer for mothers.

And then, the second prayer: "For all women who suffer the pain of infertility, miscarriages and stillborn births, that they will feel the comfort and mercy of God"

Third: "For women who courageously and generously choose adoption over abortion, and for mothers and fathers who welcome those babies into their hearts and homes."

Wow. How beautiful!! And after mass, during breakfast, I found out that it was my mom who submitted the prayers to the pastoral associate, asking that they be included on Mother's Day. My mom rocks!!!!

7) I'm looking into stimulating lactation. I'm so inspired by the bloggers who have done so! I met with a lactation consultant about 10 days ago and got started with a SNS. Caleb isn't really a fan... he's fine if he's eaten some already, but that's it. I haven't been able to force him. And I haven't used it since last week - I had no desire to try to work with it while traveling. I was going to try to stimulate without pumping, but I think that might be what I need to do. My friend K told me yesterday, that I can always feed him breastmilk from a bottle if I get any. My only concern is that we are traveling a bit in June for 3 weddings. And I'm worried about pumping during all that. Anyway... please pray for me!!!!

8) I ordered the following awesome outfit for him to wear at the weddings:

How adorable is that??? :)

9) Finally, for my first mother's day, DH got me the Nikon D5100!!! I am SUPER excited!! I have been wanting one for ages. We're both wondering if we can do a crash course in using it in time for Caleb's baptism on Sunday. :-D Feel free to leave any SLR tips below, haha!!

10) Oh, and one more - congratulations to Hebrews!!! Way to go, Mama!!! And welcome baby Claire!!


11 comments:

  1. Great list! As an SLR user, all I can say is take a lot of pictures. The auto settings work pretty great as you're getting started, but manual focus can really be amazing. The more you use it, the more you'll love it! And, of course, now that you have such an amazing subject, you'll have lots of pictures to take. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy First Mother's Day!!!!! :-) I thought of you especially on Sunday and wondered how things are going. Its so hard to sit down and write a post (not in your head) to keep people updated. :-)
    I LOVE your Cookbook idea and the pictures you added. I'm a not-so-great-cook myself and pictures are priceless to me.
    Your mom has to be the best mom ever ... to add the intentions at mass for those waiting and those adoptive and birth mothers ... that has to be the nicest thing at a Mother's Day Mass ever!
    Now that you have a new camera ... lots of Caleb pics, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! What a wonderful Mother's Day you must have had!! That little outfit for the weddings is just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear a great update from you! Now we need pics of Caleb with that new camera! Since I am a Canon user, I have no advice about your Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to hear from you! I love that you are enjoying all these precious first days with your son. Congrats again, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is full of good things! I love that cookbook idea and his outfit for the weddings is super cute! And I think your mom is so sweet and fantastic for adding those intentions on Mother's Day. What a comfort it would have been to hear that.

    I'm glad you had a lovely first Mother's Day and I can't wait to see more pictures of the little man! That is awesome that you got a camera too! I have found such helpful articles on the MCP Actions blog. You can search for a keyword you are interested in learning about. When you want to dive into Manual mode, look for information on the exposure triangle (ISO, shutter speed, and aperture). You may not have time before this weekend but luckily you have a sweet subject to practice on as much as you want ;) (and auto is still pretty great) I am still trying to get it all figured out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 1st Mothers Day! I love your parish intentions...how beautiful! Glad you and your little guy are doing well and how exciting about the camera! I watched YouTube videos on how to use mine. I also read "understanding exposure" ...by Brian Peterson? Something like that. Just having a nice camera makes a difference even if you don't know how to use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just giddy reading your post!!!! I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww yay, happy Mothers day!!! I got your text but was at work, sorry I didn't get back to you. Your Mom is awesome for submitting that!! I could hug her myself. Glad things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary!!! Have a wonderful time with your little one. May your anniversary be blessed in every way as you celebrate your little miracle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...