Sunday, October 21, 2012

HWFD? Chicken & Avocado Salad

I could eat chicken salad every day. This one, DH & I ate for lunch most days this past week! I found a similar salad on Pinterest, and tweaked it a bit.

Here was the picture - doesn't it look yummy? :)
source

What I did...

Ingredients:
1 large package of spinach (I used a pound)
1 package of cherry tomatoes
8 ounces of crumbled feta cheese (optional - we went with it, DH always says fe-taaah makes it bet-taah! *Note: I buy a chunk of feta and crumble it myself - it's usually a little cheaper)
1 avocado, sliced (or 2 if you want!)
2 pounds chicken (I used this much because I wanted a lot of leftovers)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil to lightly coat the pan and the chicken

Salt & pepper to taste
Spicy Brown Mustard - to taste (I used between 2-4 tsp)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Balsamic vinegar (for drizzling on salad)
Slivered almonds

Rinse your chicken breasts and using kitchen shears, cut them into bite-size pieces. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it lightly coats the bottom of the pan. Add your chicken, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. After 3-4 minutes, drain excess liquid from pan if necessary. Add the spicy brown mustard and stir to distribute evenly.

While chicken cooks, wash the spinach, and place in a large serving bowl. Add cherry tomatoes (sliced in half if you wish), crumbled feta cheese, sliced avocado and slivered almonds. Sometimes I toast the almonds on a sheet of aluminum foil in the toaster oven, but watch carefully so they don't burn. It really brings out the flavor. When the chicken is finished, add it to your salad, then top with the slivered almonds. Drizzle with desired amount of EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!

*Note: With 2 pounds of chicken, you should get about 8 servings

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...