Wednesday, April 23, 2014

As for God, His way is perfect

A few weekends ago I had the opportunity to play for a wedding - I didn't personally know the couple, though I met the groom at the rehearsal I had with their friend who was singing for the wedding. The bride taught at a local Catholic high school and the chaplain of the school was the celebrant for the Mass. It was wonderful to see the many students who came to see her get married. The homily was absolutely beautiful. The priest mentioned the percentage of couples who now actually get married -- about 30%. He reminded this couple that they will be a strong witness. They should be the couple who, when friends of theirs are struggling, they will be sought for advice. For how to make it work. For how to accept challenges and crosses.

Weddings are so beautiful when the couple has put God at the center of their relationship. I think for those of you married, being at another wedding makes you remember your own. The vows you took. How your husband looked that day - how excited you felt as you began your vocation as a wife. The dreams you had. My dreams of course centered around the family we planned to have. The many children we prayed God would bless us with. For so many years we had to wait.

I also received an email last Friday from the farm where we purchase milk and meats when we are visiting my parents. The farmer had an email this week dedicated to his family and in particular his son who is engaged. The story of how the couple met clearly had God's hand all over it. Included was a photo of their engagement announcement. The scripture on the announcement was from Psalm 18.

"As for God, His way is perfect."

How fitting a verse for our second child.

We have been chosen again by a birthmother to be parents. Her due date was originally May 11- Mother's Day of all days - but the birthmother is going to be induced tomorrow- April 24th. Exactly two years ago, that was the day we received "the call" about C.

C will soon be able to wear the "Big Brother" t-shirt we picked out last week.

As I read the email from the farmer, those dreams I had as a bride and as a new wife came to mind. I thought I knew the course my path would take as mother. I didn't. It was hard. It was excruciating. It was anger and sadness and frustration and so many emotions all at once. But because eventually I stopped fighting, and asked what He wanted and not what I wanted, our family is about to change and grow again. His way often permits suffering.

I am also aware that we are again in the middle of Infertility Awareness Week. As joyful and hopeful that I am about this little girl, my heart breaks again for those of you still waiting. All of you will be very close to my heart as we wait out the 30 days until TPR.

But as we celebrated this past weekend - the suffering of Good Friday does lead to the JOY of Easter Sunday. For those of you still waiting, it may still feel like Good Friday. Do not give up hope.

His way is perfect.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, what wonderful news!! Prayers for the birth and that everything goes smoothly. The date gave me chills - 2 years to the day, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!!! And SOOOOO EXCITED for you guys! I'll be praying for you all month too, and beyond of course. Congrats! Can't wait to see that little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! So excited for your family. I will be adding prayers for your family over the coming days. St. Gerard, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! Yes, His Way is perfect. So hard to endure at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful, beautiful news! Congrats and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful and I'm so excited for you! Praying for all of you in the midst of all this excitement (and inevitable uncertainty). Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear an update!! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!!!!!!!! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! My heart is bursting with happiness for you and your family!!! I will pray for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post on so many levels. Your words are poetic, which I know means they are truly lead by the Spirit. Congratulations!! I cannot wait to hear more details and will be praying you through these next 30 days. What joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS- Love the verse. I'm going to look it up. I really need it right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...