Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why Isaiah 55:8-9?



I've chosen Isaiah 55:8-9 for my blog title because since college, it has been one of my favorite verses. It was during my sophomore year that I first came across the verse, and at the time, I was quite sick with Crohn's disease.
During that year, I was getting lab work done weekly to check medication levels - not exactly what I wanted to be doing while enjoying college! While in the waiting room at the local hospital, I came across a little prayer booklet. I randomly flipped it open and came to Isaiah 55:8-9.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
As high as the heavens are above the earth, 
so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts."
That day, instead of feeling defeated when leaving the hospital, I felt reassured, knowing that God was with me in my suffering. He wasn't done yet though.
Soon after returning to campus, I was in an economics class. It wasn't my favorite class - in fact, it probably ranked up there as "least favorite". :) Though I was attending a small Christian college, this professor had never referenced Scripture during the class. All of a sudden (and to this day, I have no idea how it related to the lesson being taught), displayed on the overhead projector was Isaiah 55:8-9. I remember sitting through the rest of the class in a complete fog. I had never before felt the presence of God so strongly - literally, a physical presence beside me. At that moment, I understood that my sufferings were not in vain, He had a plan for me, and He would help me.
Since that time, He has been with me through my continued sufferings with Crohn's, including routine lab work, several hospitalizations and finally, two surgeries, the first- a colectomy in 2001 (surgery to remove my colon), and the second, to remove adhesions which would have strangled part of my small intestine, had the physicians not discovered it in time.
Through those sufferings though, I began to understand the beauty of the Cross. Through my struggle with Crohn's, Our Lord was preparing me for an even greater cross- the cross of infertility. Intellectually, I know that our sufferings unite us to Christ. It's quite another thing though, to live it! 
I've been following a few blogs for the last few months, and through them, have realized that I'm not alone. I had no idea that there was such a large community of Catholic women who are helping one another with the cross of infertility. I've been thinking about starting my own blog, and I guess today is finally the day. :)
Thanks for reading!
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you. 
Because by your holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you commented on my blog so that I could find yours!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...