Thursday, June 6, 2013

This and that

I can't believe it's already June! What a crazy few weeks we've had around here...

1) Memorial Day weekend was our 6th anniversary. My parents came for a visit... they watched Caleb (who apparently could have cared less that we were gone :)) while we went to see Iron Man 3 and get ice cream at SweetFrog. The movie was great, and so was the ice cream. :) I never had any interest in comic books, or movies made from them, until DH.... and now, I will happily watch any movie and The Avengers is one of my favorites. Who knew! :)

2) My students had both their spring adjudications and recital last week. They all did well, but we had a bit of an adventure at the church where the adjudications took place. The night before they were to take place, there was a really bad storm - lightning took out a very large tree and left the church without power. After one of my students auditioned by whatever light we could get using the windows, we ended up moving to another teacher's home because we couldn't be in the building without power. The parents were awesome and understanding at the change of location - and some of them I had to call en route! I really work with amazing families. :) I took this week off though, and will resume lessons next week. Summer is always a lighter schedule which I love!

3) Last weekend, my sis R came for a visit. She's awesome and C LOVED playing with her. And she's the PT so C got a bunch of treatment while she was here. He had no idea - she makes games of everything. No wonder her families back home love her! :)

4) C got a TOTcollar as one more item to help treat his torticollis. He still has about a 5 degree tilt... the TOTcollar wasn't fitted properly however, so he hasn't been wearing it. It actually made his tilt worse, so we're going back to get it refitted next week.

5) In other health news, C apparently has an allergy to strawberries. Whatever it is - he has a bad case of eczema on his shoulders and upper arms. I couldn't figure out why it was so bad, but then DH and I wondered if it was the strawberries - he loves them and was eating them all day! So, we dropped them from his diet and his skin seems to be improving. Maybe we'll try them next year. He doesn't seem at all bothered by it - he's not scratching at all, but it was clear something was up.

6) I have hesitated to say anything about this on the blog, but we have a visit with C's birthmother this coming weekend. We haven't seen her since last summer... I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Please pray for a good visit!!

7) We've spent a good amount of time at the pool lately. Fortunately, there is one in our development - we literally have to walk out the front door. Love that convenience of townhome living! C has NO FEAR of the water... and while I'm grateful that he doesn't seem timid, him wanting me to let go is not exactly what I had in mind! Hopefully he will enjoy swimming in the lake later in the summer as much!

8) We broke down and got a baby gate. While DH & I know C can climb the stairs fine on his own, he was getting a little to ambitious in his bolts for the stairs down to the front door. I spent almost 30 minutes talking with a story employee to get the right kind of gate. As you can see, we have the gate stretched across 2 sets of stairs so I needed a really wide gate.



We didn't want to drill into the wall or the banisters, but kind of made our peace with it being necessary, until I thought of these little babies - at $6 for 3 (I had one leftover from a garage project), it was better on the wallet than the $50 we originally spent on the banister and wall mounting kits!


I'm sure zip-ties could be used as well! I like that these are rubber and have a great grip on both the banister and the gate.

9) One more prayer request for a special intention. I can't go into detail yet, but hopefully will be able to in a few weeks. (And, no, I'm not pregnant and we are not adopting again - at least not yet on the adoption part. :)) Just prayers for a personal situation. Thanks!

Sorry to have been MIA for a while... I hope to get back to blogging - and commenting more - on a regular basis in a few weeks. Hope you all are having a great week! :)

7 comments:

  1. Good to catch up with you! Praying all goes well with the visit, and for the personal situation as well. Elie, our oldest, has a slight allergy to strawberries. She would break out in a rash around her mouth if she ate too many (something to do with a vitamin in them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your intention and your meeting with C's birth mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a smart way to put the gates up!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of gate is that? We were trying to find one like that to keep our son from getting at the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!

    nice to hear updates! Now we need more pics of C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! I hope you're having a great visit with C's birth mom. It can be so daunting picturing how it will be, but I know it will go / is going smooth.
    Prayers going up for your situation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...