Thursday, October 9, 2014

HWFD: Chicken Tortellini soup & Apple Cake

It's been a while since I posted any recipes, as but as we head into fall around here I'm thinking more about yummy soups and stews and apple desserts!

Last night for dinner I made an old favorite - one I hadn't made since we went gluten free 4 years ago! It's from the Cooking Light Super Fast Suppers cookbook.
source and recipe here
I purchased these GF cheese tortellini which became available at a local store only recently. The company will ship all over, with their pasta packaged in dry ice. They're expensive, but for the occasional splurge, I felt they were worth it! I served the soup with toasted "pita" bread. I used an Udi's frozen pizza crust, rubbed a bit of olive oil on it, and sprinkled a little of Penzey's Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle on top. Yum!!

For dessert last weekend I made this apple cake recipe. And then, since it was gone 3 days later, I made another one. :) It's super easy and so moist and delicious! :) 

source and recipe here
I did not follow this recipe exactly - I was out of cinnamon the first time I made it, so I used 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice mix to replace the cinnamon and cardamom. It was perfect. I also didn't glaze it or do the swirl exactly as directed; I ran out of time before naptime was over! After I smoothed out the batter in the pie pan, I lightly drizzled honey over the top and shook a little more of the pumpkin pie spice over it. It was sweet enough without the glaze, although it sure looks pretty in the photo! :)

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. I only recently found GF ravioli at a local store. Will have to look into these as there is a great summer salad I love that uses them, but since being GF we have not made it. I will have to try the cake recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...