Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sheesh!

Oops! When I began this blog I had hoped to post at least once a week. I'm slipping! :)

This morning I spent time on the phone with a few companies determining which of their lotions (if any) I can still be using on a GF diet. This began when I started cleaning out the closet again to rid myself of hotel-room shampoos and the like as I read recently that they could contain gluten (why do I take them anyway? They dry out my scalp and I never use them.). I also randomly read the ingredients on my antibacterial lotions and gels from B & B Wo.rks and they contain wheat germ oil and wheat amino acids!! Ugh! I've been slathering myself with gluten!

For the record in case anyone wants to know: I was told the Tru.e Bl.ue Sp.a lay.it.on.thick and shea.it.isn't.so foot cream are gluten free, as are the anti-bacterial SOAPS. They do not guarantee about cross-contamination though. Has anyone used these without a problem? I've never had a problem with my skin breaking out or developed rashes by using it.

I do have to get rid of my most-favoritest scent in the world by V.Se.cret, their bo.dy.by.vict.oria line. I'm most displeased about this. :( I was told NONE of their beauty products are GF. Sure enough those lotions have hydrolyzed wheat protein in them. What should I do about the perfume? Seriously, it's my signature scent, I've worn it for years. Am I breathing in gluten? Or am I getting paranoid? The lotions I can deal without... but the perfume? (I didn't ask in particular about the perfume, but the customer service lady I spoke with told me nothing was GF, so I assume that is included??)

I DID discover that Joh.nson's products are gluten-free. (They have a statement on their website and I love that.) I used to love the baby lotion so I may look to going back to using their stuff. They have a variety of scents it looks like, so I might need a Tar.get run in the next few days to check them out. :)

I also discovered a completely GF line of make-up that I may try. Af.ter.glow cosmetics. The founder of the company has family with lots of allergies, including gluten. The products also do not contain soy, which bothers me. **Note: Soy makes my throat itch like CRAZY. I've been on the prowl for a well-balanced GF protein bar, but so many contain soy as protein. I tried some last week that were soy-based and it confirmed any suspicions I had about it. Benedryl was a good a companion after that mistake, haha.** I've been using Ma.ry.Kay make-up for years, and although my rep told me everything was gluten-free, that the company doesn't post such info on their website bothers me. If it's truly gluten free, why not post it? Tons of people would flock to the company. Since formulas often change, how will I know if gluten goes in there? Also, since I read ingredient lists like crazy, why wouldn't I want to read them on my skin products? My skin hasn't been the best for the last year or two. I'm not breaking out like crazy, but when I had my surgery I didn't wear make-up for 2 weeks and my skin was so much better! It's started breaking out again since I started wearing it again. I think it may be time for a switch. Has anyone used Af.terglow's products?

Other non GF-related stuff.... I've been really busy getting applications in for my students and their various adjudications coming up in May. This is such a busy time of year. I have music related events every weekend in May and the first weekend of June. I'm glad I work into my schedule a spring break! Some students will be off next week, others the last week of the month after Easter based on their school schedules. Lots to get done when they're off!

40 Bag update: I'm up to 33 bags. I spent yesterday cleaning out the small storage area in our basement. I ended up doing it earlier in the week rather than later because my DH went in there on Sunday night and realized it was damp and warm in there... we think the dryer is venting in that space, not to the outside. Ugh. He has the unpleasant job of going in the crawl-space to see about fixing it. Ugh. I would never make it to do that. We had a gi-normous millipede crawl appear on Sunday afternoon while I was doing laundry and I shrieked and literally leaped onto the arm of the chair down there. Fortunately DH was there to save me from that little terror!! :-D I'm such a wimp when it comes to crawling nasty things. I know I'm a thousand times bigger than they are, but it doesn't matter. They have more legs than I do and they are fast!!

Well... I should get back to clearing out my beloved, wonderful-smelling beauty products. Hey,  getting rid of all the stuff I have probably counts toward a bag. ;-)

ps: I was talking to a priest about the 40 bags in 40 days and he liked the idea and said - I think there's a song about that! He started singing to the tune of 40 days and 40 nights "40 bags in 40 nights. We are cleaning out our...." LOL. :)

2 comments:

  1. I eat GF too. I thought that if you're doing GF, it only matters what goes in your mouth, not what goes on your skin. Are you purging all your non-food items because you're worried you get the product on your fingers then later might put your fingers in your mouth? That would make sense for the lotions and shampoos. Then you wouldn't have to get rid of your favorite perfume...just keep your mouth shut when using it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor at the lab where I was tested said that GF people should stay away from products as well - lotions, etc, because that also gets absorbed into your body. Lipsticks especially make sense since we all lick our lips at some point throughout the day.
    When I put my perfume on this morning I closed my mouth and held my breath!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...