Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9/11

It's so hard to believe it's already been 10 years...

On Monday, September 10th, I had a colonoscopy (ugh) which was a final look before deciding I would go through with the colectomy. Those tests aren't pleasant in the slightest, but it was really, really painful that day. I had been having pretty bad flare-ups so there was a lot of inflammation throughout my colon. So on the morning of September 11th, I was sleeping in, feeling awful and feeling kind of sorry for myself as a result of the exam. That changed when my mom came into my room and told me I needed to get up... the world had changed.

I remember going into the kitchen in my pajamas and watching the events unfold. I remember feeling so, so frightened. What was happening? Who was attacking us? What would happen next? I know my sisters eventually made it home from school (one was away at college) and my Dad. I think we just stayed in front of the TV most the day and spent time praying for the victims and their families. I think we were mostly just in shock.

One of my sisters and I were supposed to go to the Pir.ates game that evening. I can't remember what day the game ended up being rescheduled to, but I remember singing God Bless America and the Star-Spangled Banner and the feeling that just overcame the entire stadium. I still have the ticket with the original date on it.

Fast forward to the weekend and my family went out to celebrate the twins birthday at a really nice restaurant in downtown Pitts.burgh. It was on the 64th floor of the tallest building downtown and the restaurant was closing at the end of the month. The views up there were spectacular. It was kind of eerie, looking out and realizing that a few days prior planes had struck other tall buildings. When we came out after dinner, we ended up driving out behind a black SUV with GOD BLESS AMERICA! on the rear window. I remember thinking how proud I was to be an American.

I don't know that I will ever understand what could drive anyone to commit such acts. I do know that I am blessed to know members of the military who've placed themselves in danger to protect our country. How can we not be grateful for their sacrifice?

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...