Sunday, February 26, 2012

Honey, What's for Dinner?


One of my favorites:

Tamari Beef Tips


Ingredients:
1-2 Tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 large green pepper, diced (about 1-inch)
1 medium onion, diced (about 1-inch)
1-2 lbs Sirloin, cut into stir-fry strips or stew meat (I buy it pre-cut at our grocery store or Farmer's mkt)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/8-1/4 cup Gluten-free Tamari sauce (you can use Teriyaki if you can have gluten)
About 1/8 cup Red Wine - optional, but highly recommended ;)

Directions:
Heat EVOO in a large saute pan. (I use a 4-qt stainless steel pan so I can get the beef to lightly brown.) Add onions and green peppers and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add beef tips and season with salt & pepper. Once meat has lightly browned, drain excess liquid from pan. (Cooking time will depend on your stove - just watch to see when the liquid builds up. Then drain it. You don't want to add the sauces until you drain the excess liquid.) Add Tamari sauce and red wine if you desire. You want to see everything lightly coated with the sauce - but not drenched. :) Continue cooking for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat. The sauce will probably thicken slightly - this is fine.



(1) A little over 2 lbs of beef.
(2) This is what your meat will look like when you start draining the liquid. It's fine if the meat is still a little pink. Just get rid of the liquid before you add the Tamari sauce and wine. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to flavor the meat as well.


(3) I use San-J brand. I've used regular and lower sodium; both are good. It's usually in the organic section of the grocery store, near the dressings and such.
(4) DH is more of the wine consumer than me, but I LOVE using red wine to flavor dishes. :)

Notes:
This is delicious served over rice, or by itself with a side salad (which is how we usually eat it). Sometimes I cook it with extra green peppers and onions. Sometimes I add a red pepper too!
If you have time, marinate the beef tips in a bit of tamari sauce for a few hours before cooking.
I really recommend making extra (hence 2 lbs of beef) for leftovers - it is even better the next day! :)

I'd love to hear if you try it! And please let me know if you have any questions! :)

In case anyone is interested, here is my Menu Planning/Grocery List sheet.  It appears I can't upload a PDF to blogger, so if you want me to email you the real thing, I can. Just leave a comment. I have the week planned out on the left (breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks) and my grocery list on the right.
Menu planning helps a TON. It's so much better than trying to cook something and missing ingredients or needing to run to the store for 1 item. Once a week I sit down and plan about 2 weeks worth of menus and a grocery list. I try as much as possible to do a big grocery shopping trip every 2 weeks, and then if I need to, stop for fresh produce, or fresh fish if we're having it, once a week. I also buy most of my meats & eggs at a local farmer's market.

Happy Cooking! :)

6 comments:

  1. oooooh, that sounds good! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L, I LOVE you!!! Please, please keep up with this! You have no idea how much it's helping me and I love that you gave it it's own label so I can browse through stuff later. You rock!

    I tried going reduced gluten this week (inadvertently I had some b/c I didn't read labels as closely) and I feel so much better. Much less gassy, LoL. No weight loss but CD 1 just started so I'm bloated still. I think the transition is going to be a process, but I think it's going to be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's cute! if i was at all organized i'd ask you to send it to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! B, L, and D?! You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! I so need to get organized in this area...VERY BADLY! Can you please send me the PDF? Thank you!!! Can't wait to see what you post each week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...