Thursday, February 23, 2012

My new series

It's the question we often hear from our beloved hubbies when they home from work... it can either spark...

(1) Relief. "We're having ____! It's already ready - on the stove/in the oven/in the crockpot."

(2) Terror. "Uh... what on earth is in my fridge that I can throw together?"

On the advice of a two sweet bloggers (A & R), I'm going to start posting recipes more frequently. I always think about posting when I find a great one, but am terrible about taking pictures. So... I will try to remember to take pictures, but I will probably be much better about posting the recipe.

So to help you answer that welcome or dreaded question, I bring you...



For those of you on special diets, the recipes will be dairy and gluten free. I will usually substitute coconut or almond milk for dairy and for regular flour, either almond meal (or some kind of nut, like walnuts or pecans), though occasionally I use GF flour (this brand). It's a straight 1-for-1 substitution which makes it super easy. Oh, and there will be dessert recipes in the mix too... so please don't judge. Life is short. Eat dessert first. ;)

Before I got married, everyone I talked to either loved to cook and hated to bake, or loved to bake and hated to cook. Are you like that? I already knew I loved to bake so I was rather terrified at the years of cooking that loomed before me once DH & I got engaged! I knew that it would fall to me as I planned on being a stay-at-home wife and in 9 months, a mother. (Well, we all know the second part of that plan turned out. :)) Nearly 5 years later, I'm still essentially a stay-at-home wife with a side business of piano teaching. However, during those 5 years I've learned to LOVE to cook! I began with old family favorites that I knew I enjoyed to eat, and determined to learn to make at least those ones. I also began watching the Food Network and Everyday Ita.lian quickly became a must-watch in my daily schedule. I've never been much to watch TV, but I was hooked. Gi.ada uses a lot of fresh ingredients and her recipes are easy to follow. I do recommend it, although I don't watch it anymore (only because we got rid of cable).

There are also a few cookbooks that are a must in my kitchen that I find myself turning to over and over again:

Cooking Light, Superfast Suppers
Cooking Light, The All-New Complete Cooking Light
Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo (and her blog: Everyday Paleo)

And never underestimate the power of of a Google search! I always look for recipes that have high ratings and numbers of ratings.

Look for my first recipe this weekend! :)

12 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait - I'm so excited for these :). The Man thanks you in advance (I do believe he is sick of a mix ofrice/beans/tomatoes as a side dish!)

    Oh, and about this coconut/almond milk - I hate milk...mostly because, it's just well gross and thick...how do coconut/almond milk compare practically speaking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut milk & almond milk seem to work just fine as substitutes in recipes. The only trouble I had was with crepes - the batter was coming out too thick, so I still have to work with that one. And my pancakes were very white. :) Taste-wise, I like both. I've had the coconut milk unsweetened and original and I liked both, and the almond milk was good too - I bought the original. I think both come in vanilla and chocolate flavors - you might like both. From a health standpoint, regular (cow) milk is a protein and a carb, the almond and coconut milks are pretty much fats. Does that answer your question?

      Delete
  2. Love it! I can't wait to see your recipes. BTW- I'm doing the 40 bag challenge that you did last year for Lent. You inspired me:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're going to LOVE the 40 Bags challenge! :) It was so freeing to let go of stuff that was just hanging around. I wasn't sure I could do it... but it was surprisingly easy. And now (most of the time) I really think before buying things.

      Delete
    2. That's good to hear! You made it seem so easy last year, but I'm already 13 bags lighter, so it has been surprisingly easy thus far. We'll see as more time goes on!

      Delete
  3. Oooooh, I am going to LOVE this series! I am always searching for easy delicious recipes. I'm much more the "love to bake" type...I think I dislike cooking b/c I don't really know how to do it. Can't wait for your first recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to cook and bake! Where does that put me? Ha ha!
    I do google last minute recipes, especially while grocery shopping so I can get all the ingredients! Love my iPhone for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And while I posted that last comment, I let a batch of home made sourdough waffles burn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to cook, am no good at baking. I'm SOOOOO glad you're posting this. I feel like it'll help me out a lot. Short of shadowing you on a grocery run, this'll be the next best thing! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm SO excited! I need to get my diet thing under control. Like actually stick to the Endo Diet ... all the time. :-) You'll be a BIG help! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...