Monday, April 2, 2012

HWFD? - Ice Cream Cake



Ice Cream Cake

Of course you can make this for dinner. Who would complain? And I won't judge you. ;)

Please forgive the dark photo. It was taken at night and I had to take the photo quickly before it was eaten!

This one is GF, not dairy-free. (I'm going to try a diary-free one and I'll post that one soon!)

Crust:
2 packages of Gluutino chocolate vanilla creme cookies (almost 2 full packages, I had maybe half a dozen left over. If you are using regular oreos, one package should be fine)
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Grind cookies in a food processor until you have crumbs. (Vanilla creme and all!) I did this in several batches and transferred to a bigger mixing bowl. Add the melted butter. The crumbs should be sticking together pretty well.

Pack about 1/2 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of a pie or springform pan. I used a small piece of wax paper to smooth out the bottom and press down the crust. (I used a Springform pan so it would be easy to remove. I also liked the higher sides for a bigger cake! The pan was non-stick, although I placed a piece of wax paper on the bottom then secured the sides. It worked really well!)

Cake Layers:
1 jar Fudge ice cream topping (I used Hersheys) - I used about 1/2 to 3/4 of the jar
1/2 Pint Ice cream (I used Edy's Grand Mint Chocolate Chip) - slightly defrosted
1 small container Cool Whip (defrosted)

After pressing down the crust, I melted about 1/2 to 3/4 of the jar of fudge in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and spread it on top of the crust. Then I added half the container of ice cream. Then add about another 1/3 of the crumb mixture (I left just enough in the bowl to lightly decorate the top of the cake). Then add another layer of ice cream. After adding the last layer of ice cream, top with a layer of cool whip - however much you like--I happen to LOVE it :). Finally, use the last of the crumbs to decorate the top of the cake. You can also drizzle some extra fudge topping. Cover with foil (I used a large gumband* to secure the foil around the top of the pan).

Freeze for a few hours. Serve to happy people. Add birthday candles for a lucky recipient (this one was for DH!)

*What on earth is a gumband you ask? It's Pittsburghese for Rubber band. Rubber bands are made out of Gum Rubber. Therefore, gumband. Stop looking at me funny. It's a fun word! :)

4 comments:

  1. Since I am originally from PA, I knew the word gumband. I was actually surprised that it wasn't the "normal" word for it! Yummy cake. I cannot wait to have my candy and sweets on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love to make this recipe before I was gf/df! It was amazing. Sigh. I just found a recipe for df whipped cream with only three ingredients (canned coconut milk, powdered sugar, vanilla), and So Delicious makes df ice cream, and there are df spreads to replace butter... I may have to see if I can find a recipe for df fudge... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm bookmarking this. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks amazing! I have nut allergy in our house and so treats like this are not something we can do (at least, you can't buy nut free versions in our area .... I am sure GF and DF and others with food challenges can relate). That makes this recipe pure gold, and I really appreciate you posting it.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...