Sunday, January 8, 2012

Let them eat Crepes!

DH and I had a nice lunch date recently at a French Crepe restaurant nearby. I took notes on mine while I was there so I could try to duplicate it! We tested it out earlier this week as I wanted to make it when we had some friends over for brunch this morning. It was delicious!! :)

You can use crepes if you want, but they are not necessary - the filling is good by itself. We made crepes using Jules GF flour and coconut milk, and they turned out pretty well. We had to tweak the recipe since this was the first time with the coconut milk. Once I figure out quantities, I can post the recipe if anyone wants it!

We made bigger crepes (dinner-plate size), placed the filling in the middle and folded up the edges around it.

Filling:
1 Eggplant, diced into medium-sized cubes
2-3 Yellow Squash, diced into medium cubes
1 Red onion, diced
1-2 lbs Chicken, diced (I figure 4-5 ounces of chicken per person as we eat a lot of protein)
Extra-virgin Olive Oil (a generous amount)
Black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Herbes de Provence (sorry - no quantity) - I just shake it on for a light coating, stir the mix up and repeat.

I combined everything except the spinach into a 9x13 glass pan (this morning I made extra, so I used 2 pans) and baked it at 350 for 35 minutes. Oh, and I covered each pan with aluminum foil.

While that bakes, dice up the tomatoes and prep the spinach:

2-3 Tomatoes (mine were on the small size so I used 3), diced
Spinach - maybe 3-4 cups - I just filled up the colander (I cooked it separately, just until it wilted on the stove).

After removing the filling from the oven, I added the spinach and tomatoes.

Since we served it on crepes and the original recipe had Brie in it, I used a spreadable brie and spread a thin layer on each crepe before adding the filling. You can omit this if you're not eating dairy, and it's still very tasty!

If you have any questions, let me know!! :)

6 comments:

  1. YUM! we made crepes with a variety of fillings for Christmas brunch. They were a huge hit for the adults, but most of the kids stuck to french toast and eggs.
    I love crepes with nutella and banana slices. I could eat them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh! Yum! These sound so delicious! Savory crepes at brunch are always a win, in my book. Do you buy Herbes de Provence at the supermarket or is that a specialty item?

    I do also love sweet crepes too - just like Julie: Nutella and bananas, but I add strawberries, too!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie - yes, my husband LOVES nutella! That usually figures prominently into crepe-making. I usually go for strawberries and cinnamon. One of our friends this morning brought over pumpkin butter... heavenly! :)

    G - Herbes de Provence. I've never looked in a regular grocery store, so I'm not sure. I get almost all of my spices at Penzey's. Here's their listing for HDP: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysherbesdepro.html.

    JB - you should totally make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds soooo good - especially since I am working on adding more veggies to everyday meals. I may try to make this as a phyllo dough casserole (but that is not gluten free) ... I am not sure how to make crepes so that part is a bit intimidating, but the 'throw it all together and roast it' part sounds easy and healthy.

    Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I grew up in a traditional Polish household and we'd eat crepe's stuffed with mushrooms. You've made me SO hungry for them now! I think I may have to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...