Friday, January 23, 2015

Book Recommendation - Thirsting for Prayer

Happy Friday, friends!

I've been reading a great little book recommended by my spiritual director called Thirsting for Prayer. Jacques Philippe has written a few others that I've read, and I highly recommend them all. But I think I'd recommend this one first!

I loved this quote from the book:
When meaning is lacking, people try to replace it with feelings and sensations. "Get your fill of sensations," said a recent car advertisement. But that is a dead end, producing nothing but frustration, even self-destruction and violence. A thousand satisfactions do not add up to happiness.
One final remark on this matter of prayer as a path of freedom. As I shall explain later, faithfulness to prayer causes us little by little to experience that our real treasure is within us, that we possess within ourselves the Kingdom and its happiness. This discovery will make us freer with regard to earthly possessions, liberating us gradually from the excessive need to have things--that current tendency to fill our lives with a host of material possessions that in the end weigh us down and harden our hearts.
So true, isn't it?

We are officially starting the 21-Day Sugar Detox on Sunday. DH has been working out of town this week, so we traveled with him to visit his family - and meet our new nephew! :) Since we knew about this trip, I figured it would be better to start once we were back home. Plus, I knew I needed to plan our menus in advance! :) I'll post our menu for the week on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to keep that one in mind. I love Fr. Philippe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...