Monday, January 26, 2015

HWFD: 21-Day Sugar Detox, week 1

I spent a bit of time last week while we were away looking through my two Against All Grain cookbooks (First One) and (Meals Made Simple), and the 21-Day Sugar Detox book for recipes that would fit the detox. It's been a while since I actually sat down to menu-plan this far in advance! :) I knew that it would be much easier for me to stick to it if I did! I wrote out all my ingredients on Saturday that I needed and bought everything for the week on Sunday. To keep this post shorter, I'll include only a few of the recipes, but if there is one you would like to try, let me know and I'll post it separately! Also, all of these cookbooks are available at my local library, so you could check yours!

Week 1 - 21 Day Sugar Detox

Breakfasts:
(1) Sausage, Kale & Tomato Frittata (AAG)
(2) Tomato, Basil, Bacon & Spinach Quiche (21DSD)

Lunches:
Dinner leftovers :) I got into the habit of making at least enough for 2 meals, often 3 when we first started eating Paleo. It saves me so much time in the kitchen and fortunately, none of us mind eating leftovers. Sometimes they are even better the second time around!

Dinners:
(1) Lemon-Oregano Chicken Kabobs (AAG-MMS) & Summer Squash Salad (AAG-MMS)
*I made this last week and served the chicken with homemade tzatziki sauce. Dairy is omitted for the 21DSD so I won't make it this week, but the chicken was delicious after marinating for several hours)

(2) Salmon with Garlic & Lemon, and Asparagus (and maybe a salad)
This one my MIL showed me - cover a baking pan with foil, then place salmon filets skin-side down on top. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste). Crush several garlic cloves (I figure 1-2 cloves per filet) and spread over the top of the salmon. Thinly slice a lemon and place several slices of lemon on each filet. Bake at 425 until fish flakes easily with a fork. (about 20-25 minutes) The asparagus I also drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a few squeezes of the lemon juice I had leftover.


(3) Beef Tacos (AAG-MMS)
LOVED THIS ONE - I made it tonight. It will definitely be on a regular rotation around here!
Ingredients:
3 lbs ground beef
3/4 cup diced yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup water
2 cups tomato puree
4-5 Tbsp taco seasoning (I make my own - you can find lots of recipes on Pinterest)
Brown ground meat and onion and garlic then add water, tomato puree and taco seasoning. 
*Note - I did find that there was plenty of tomato sauce. It ended up making a taco salad instead of wrapping the fillings in a lettuce leaf. Next time I will probably cut down on the water and tomato puree.
Top with whatever you like - diced tomatoes, guacamole, avocado, onions, salsa, cilantro, and cheese if you eat it! :)

(4) Ginger Chicken & Broccoli (AAG-MMS)

(5) Chili
(I make my own for this - I like to add liver since I can't taste it with all the spices, haha.)

(6) Pepperoni Pizza Pasta - (AAG-MMS)
The link is a video of Danielle making it online. I've made this twice already since getting the cookbook - it's fantastic! This will be our meal on Fridays since Fridays are always homemade pizza night. I'll miss grilling pizza - nothing like a slightly charred crust! - but I use this spiralizer to make noodles out of squash and that's fun!
Ingredients:
4-5 oz pepperoni (I use Applegate brand)
3/4 lb Italian sausage (I used 1 pound and used the hot Italian we got with our hog order)
3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
3/4 tsp sea salt
3 pounds yellow squash
3/4 cup tomato paste
1-3 Tbsp water (I've used 1.5 Tbsp each time and it was fine)
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. dried oregano
So that's it for Week 1! We briefly considered waiting until after the Super Bowl to start, but at least this way we'll be able to celebrate Valentine's Day evening and hubby's birthday (a few days later) with a yummy dessert! :)

Have you ever done a "detox" diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...